Monday, September 18, 2006

Places That I've Been To In Asia

Tokyo, Japan
17 visits (thrice in 1994, twice in 96, once in 97, thrice in 98, four times in 99, twice in 00 and twice in 01). Total stay of 73 days.
There is no way I could write about Tokyo in one paragraph so I won’t even try.

Osaka, Japan
1 visit (1999 only). Total stay of 4 days.
Osaka can undoubtedly match everything that Tokyo has to offer. With the possible exception of the surreal experience of standing at a corner of Shinjuku Station during rush hour watching people pass by from every direction.

Seoul, South Korea
4 visits (1994, 96, 97, and 00). Total stay of 15 days.
The very first time I ever experienced snow was in Seoul. My favorite place is Itaewon with its rows and rows of shops selling Korean handicrafts and pottery. My most unforgettable dish: roasted silkworms sold by the road side during winter time.

Hong Kong, China
9 visits (twice in 1995, twice in 96, twice in 97, once in 98, thrice in 99, and once in 00). Total stay of 29 days.
Each time I go, I’m always hoping to see Jacky Chan but never had the chance. Spring Deer Restaurant is my favorite place for peking duck. Not sure if it’s still there. Otherwise, it would be Mc Donalds for me. Most other restaurants just can’t seem to use enough MSG. Got food poisoned there once. Horrible!

Taipei, Taiwan
2 visits (1996 and 98). Total stay of 6 days.
Probably the only place in the world where going to a barbershop could be an entirely different experience. The last thing you’d have to worry about is that they might cut your hair too short!

Singapore
12 visits (twice in 1994, twice in 97, once in 98 and 99, four times in 2000 and twice in 2003). Total stay of 45 days excluding period of residency in Singapore from August 2000 to December 2002.
There’s just so much to say. In a nutshell, considering that this is the first foreign country I’ve visited, Changi airport made me realize how far behind the Philippines has become. Oh well…

Bangkok, Thailand
11 visits (1997, 98, 99, twice in 00, four times in 01, and twice in 03). Total stay of 34 days.
Two words: Amazing Thailand!

Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
19 visits (1994, 99, 00, and twice in 01). Total stay of 19 days.
Petronas Towers. Teh tarik. Green Elephant. I played a few courses outside KL and one of my personal favorites will have to be Saujana where Tiger Woods played during the Malaysian Open. I played so well that day and though the score was still in the low to mid-90s, I had five birdies and that’s all that matters.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 visit (2002 only). Total stay of 2 days.
How can any golfer live as an expat in Singapore and not spend at least one golf weekend at JB?

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 visits (1994, 96 and 97). Total stay of 15 days.
Can’t forget the sense of pride I felt the first time I saw a Jolibee store outside the Philippines. I admired (and still do) the way Indonesians took pride in and showcased their culture. But each time our hosts would invite us out for dinner and drinks, I would just hope they’d stop asking us to sing “Anak”.

Bali, Indonesia
1 visit (2000 only). Total stay of 5 days.
Another sales conference during my days at iBasis. We played at the Nirwana which is probably on my top 5 list of best courses I’ve played in Asia.

Bintan Island, Indonesia
1 visit (2001 only). Total stay of 2 days.
Same comment as in Johor Bahru.

Hanoi, Vietnam
2 visits (1997 and 2003). Total stay of 6 days.
Next to the Philippines and Thailand, Vietnam probably has the third highest density of beautiful women. Amazing how so many bikes can simultaneously cross an intersection all at the same time, from different directions, without ever bumping into each other.

Phnom Pehn, Cambodia
3 visits (2000 and twice in 2003). Total stay of 8 days.
During my first time, I was appalled at what the civil war has done to this country and its people. When we played at the Royal course, whenever we missed the fairway, the caddies would remind us not to look for our balls anymore and just play provisional. Apparently, the rough has not yet been cleared of land mines. Last time we were there, the locals burned the Thai embassy after a Thai actress made the remark that Cambodia should be annexed to Thailand again.